Wednesday 12 January 2011

Martin Creed at the Fruit Market gallery in Edinburgh

I had never been to Edinburgh before and I was struck by the culture and beauty of the place and this gallery was a great example of the amazing FREE art galleries they had there.

 Having been a fan of Martin Creed for a while, it was great to walk in and find one of the greats of conceptual art just there, for everyone to see. A highlight was definatly the musical stairs.




Very sequential, ordered and controlled.
 The opposite of chaos.


Although defined often as conceptual art, Creed claims to aim to connect emotionally with people. I can really see this, the work was light hearted and visually stimulating.

To me it’s emotional. Aye. To me that’s the starting point. I mean, I do it because I want to make something. I think that’s a desire, you know, or a need. I think that I recognise that I want to make something, and so I try to make something. But then you get to thinking about it and that’s where the problems start because you can’t help thinking about it, wondering whether it’s good or bad. But to me it’s emotional more than anything else.




This is what I mean by playful I suppose. Fun and interesting, reminded me of cartoon cactii from when I was a child.

He also uses found or already existing materials rather than making or adding to the stuff that fills the world.

Though I suppose the work does remind me of collections, the odd impluse that humans have to make sence of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment